ARTISTICALLY REIMAGINED CHAIRS NEEDED FOR CHAIRFUL AUCTION
Who can participate?
- Anyone 14 and older may participate
- A piece may be completed by one person, or may be a collaborative effort.
- You do not have to live in Arlington to participate.
- Elementary-school-age children may participate with an adult as a team.
Must my item be pre-owned?
We prefer that you find items that were destined for the trash pick up or stashed in the basement, to support Arlington’s mission of zero waste. What kind of furniture may I use? Kids’ sized chairs to rocking chairs, wooden rocking horses, desk chairs, stools, small night tables, lamp stands, old fashioned magazine racks, and so on.
If it can be easily carried and moved in a car, it is acceptable.
What happens if my item/s isn’t bought?
Your item will be returned to you at the end of the day, or you may donate it to ACAC to use in our publicity and fundraising throughout the year.
Where can I find used chairs and other items?
The best finds are often right in front of you! Check out your neighborhood before the weekly trash pickup, ask your neighbors, or look in your attic or basement. If all else fails, Chairful curators can help connect you with a chair or other used item.
What is allowed in terms of re-invention?
You may reinvent with paint, construction, collage or other means. We love creativity and surprises!
Must my item be waterproof?
Items should be able to survive summer weather events like intense heat or rain.
Are all items accepted for the installation?
Yes, all Items submitted will be part of the exhibition/installation
Can I submit more than one piece of furniture?
Yes, you may submit up to three items.
What kind of paint should I use?
Acrylic house paint makes a great base coat. Ask your friends or neighbors for donations of unused house paints. If your chair is unpainted, a primer coat of white house paint, sprayed or brushed on, is suggested. Acrylic paint is fine for detail work.
What can I use for a final protective coat?
Krylon Spray Clear Varnish is a good choice. Some wood varnishes can yellow, so make sure you choose a clear-drying, water-based varnish, if you choose to go that route.Varnishes come in matte, satin, or gloss finishes.
CHAIRFUL will take place ONLINE only
- WHERE: Online Auction TBA
- WHEN: Week of August 24-September 7
- QUESTIONS: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AWARDS: There will be three juried awards for the chair or small furniture item, based on originality, artistic merit and craftsmanship.
CALL FOR POETRY SUBMISSIONS — RED LETTER POEMS PROJECT
Arlington’s Poet Laureate, Steve Ratiner, has announced a Call for Submissions to Arlington adult and students who would like to participate in a special project launched during National Poetry Month in April and continuing into summer. You can take a look at all the poems to date here!
- Please submit 1-2 original poems, each no longer than 20 lines, on any subject matter, but with this specific goal: choose a poem you’d wish to share with neighbors, whether or not they are readers of poetry – one that will offer surprise, insight, delight.
- Send submissions via email only. Paste the poem into the body of an email (no attachments, please). Write ‘A Call for Poems’ in the subject line – and, if you are a student, specify at what grade level. If a poem has been previously published, please do cite the place of publication. Send to Steven Ratiner at email@example.com. Include your name, address, and a phone number where you can be reached if your poem is selected.
Created Equal – Exhibition Opportunity