Who do Fox and Owl Meet?
Think about other characters you might want to introduce Fox and Owl to. You can draw your own, or use toys or other objects. Watch the video below – Kari Percival, the artist who drew our puppets, shows you how to draw other animals.
Make Some Props!
Fox and Owl may want things like a boat to travel, or an umbrella to keep dry in the rain. It depends on your story. You can make anything they need!
You can make a tiny theater out of cardboard to use with your puppets. More information here.
- Use markers, crayons, colored pencils. Some paints (like watercolor) may make your paper crinkle up; try it out first.
- Try collage — gluing colored paper, light fabric or stickers
- Color them any way you want – purple, green and blue if you like, or the natural camouflage colors of animals in the woods!
- You can design your own accessories, like an umbrella or birthday cake, that help you tell a story.
- Pick the size of puppet that is right for you. If you are going to make a toy theater for your adventure, print the PDF of the puppets out at 50% to shrink them to a tiny size!
- If the puppet is too floppy and you want to make it stiff, take some light cardboard out of the recycling bin (cereal box, for example). Cut that out to the same shape as the puppet and glue your printed, colored animal to the cardboard. Tape a stick to the cardboard back. NOTE: this is especially useful for outdoor adventures, where the wind can blow your puppet into funny shapes.
- There are different sizes and different action (moving/flying and standing/sitting) versions of both characters. Use just one or use them all – whatever helps you tell your story.
How to draw your own puppets!
- Where will they go? Who will they meet? What will they discover when they get there?
- What special strengths does Fox have? What powers does Owl have?
- Is Fox a trickster? Is Owl very smart? or does s/he complain a lot? What do they sound like when they talk?
- Maybe Fox and Owl sneak into your kitchen and make cookies. Maybe they meet your dinosaur collection and have a party.
- Maybe Fox and Owl help protect the environment. They might invent a new way to collect sunlight for energy or save a whale who is tangled up in plastic!
- Learn about how a real fox and a real owl survive in the wild in these videos with Animal Control Officer Diane Welch. What do they like to eat? What are some of their dangers?
- Take a look at some sample videos to inspire you!