PLARN ART TO SAVE THE PLANET!
DONATE BAGS, TAKE A FREE WORKSHOP – JOIN IN, GET INVOLVED!
The more people who participate, the bigger our sculpture will be, and the more impact on the Bikeway and the community. Plus you will see your work in one of the busiest public spaces in Arlington. You can participate in many ways:
- Donate your plastic bags — newspaper subscriptions, supermarket shopping and veggie bags, and other light weight (clean, not torn) single use plastic bags, especially color! We have bins at the Fox Library and DPW.
- Ask your friends and neighbors, your office or book group, or your child’s school or scout troupe to collect bags.
- Learn how to make “plarn” at one of our free workshops and prepare plarn for crocheting.
- Learn how to crochet at one of our workshops – make sculptural elements at home and at our monthly meet-ups.
- Help Michelle teach others how to crochet at one of our workshops — be a mentor!
Pathways: Public Art on the Minuteman Bikeway
Michelle will be developing a site-specific design during January and February. At the same time, she will lead workshops to teach people how to create sculptural shapes; these shapes will be assembled to compose the finished work. The completed sculpture will be installed in 3 areas near Spy Pond, between Linwood Street and Swan Place, joining work by Christopher Frost and Johnny Lapham.
This collaborative “craftivist” project was inspired by RIPPLE, a vibrant knitted work created by artist Adria Arch and the 57 member Knitting Brigade in 2017. RIPPLE transformed 12 trees with colorful patterns and unexpected textures, creating surprise and delight for the thousands of people who cycle and stroll by. Many of the members of the Knitting Brigade are working with Michelle Lougee this year, forming the core of our new “Plarning Brigade.”
We welcome new partners to join the project as it unfolds. Current partners are:
- Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Arlington Public Library
- Charlotte Milan, Recycling Coordinator, Arlington DPW
- Sustainable Arlington
Town of Arlington Department of Planning and Community Development
- Adria Arch
- Lorri Berenberg
- Leah Brouder
- Kimberley Harding
- Jill Manca
- Stephanie Marlin-Curiel
- Charlotte Milan
- Rachel Olivieri
- Elizabeth Rocco
- Aneliese Ruggles
- Amanda Troha