Calling all passionate, creative teens! Arlington Center for the Arts is offering a special opportunity for you to expand your understanding of the impact arts can have on communities. Join us for a FREE weekend-long program June 18-20, 2021 and discover how you can effect social change through visual arts or poetry & performance! This action-oriented, experimental program will provide you with new tools, inspiration, peer collaboration, mentorship, and space to create and share work with the community at large. We cannot wait to experience what you create!
What students can expect during the weekend:
– Opening Speaker and warm up activities related to arts and advocacy
– Intensive workshops with local artists who are experts in community arts and their relation to personal and community advocacy
– Workshops and group critiques to refine ideas and receive feedback
– Training on presenting work both virtually and in person
– Culminating show in which work will be shared with the community
Eligibility & Evaluation Criteria:
This program provides artistic mentorship and development for youth to explore and expand their creative skills. Applications are now open to teens ages 13-18. We are looking for committed, conscientious artists and thinkers with a passion for social change. Selected teen artists will gain experience through guided workshops and projects with our teaching artists. Participants will be chosen based on their application responses and in consideration of an intentional effort to center access, equity, and inclusivity into their lives. ACA strongly encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds including people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people of varying abilities and other marginalized communities to apply.
We are offering the following areas of focus:
– Visual Arts (painting, illustration, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, etc)
– Creative Writing (poetry, spoken word, freestyle, short stories, essays, etc)
Applicants must reside in Massachusetts. Priority will be given to applicants living in Arlington and surrounding communities. We are accepting up to 10 students in each area of focus for a total of 20 students in this program.
Applications are due Friday, May 7 at noon (12pm EST) For applications and more information, please visit ACA here!
Questions? Please email Education and Programs Manager Cat Beaudoin (she/they) at firstname.lastname@example.org