Calls for Artists
I’m New Here: Perspectives on Migration
juried by Boriana Kantcheva
–August 21, 2018
ACA announces a call for artists for I’m New Here: Perspectives on Migration – the inaugural exhibit in the Arlington Center for the Arts’ new Shaira Ali Gallery.
This exhibit will feature prominently in the grand re-opening celebration of the new Arlington Center for the Arts this fall. After three years of challenge and change, ACA is on the cusp of moving into our new home. Reflecting on this major organizational transition, and with an eye on larger themes of migration in our broader world, we invite you, our artist community, to help mark this transition with an exhibit of artwork reflecting on themes of migration, change, transformation, and the meaning of home.
Boriana Kantcheva, Garden, etching, aquatint and monotype, 2018
I’m New Here seeks to inspire dialogue and learning about issues of migration and immigration as they apply in our community and in the world at large. We seek artwork addressing the themes and experiences of human migration, voluntary or not, for social, political, and economic reasons, and the experiences of resettlement. Themes could include: asylum and assimilation, borders and boundaries, citizenship and crossings, identity/identities, and the meaning of home.
We also welcome artwork inspired by different types of migration – broadly defined – including climate change and the natural world, as well as the intricacies of small migrations in our daily lives. Artists are encouraged to include diverse expressions of the concept of “migration,” and we look forward to seeing their interpretations.
Artists are invited to submit up to three (3) pieces to this competitive show, juried by Boriana Kantcheva.
Submission deadline (online): September 21, 2018
Exhibit Dates: October 27, 2018-January 18, 2019
in the Shaira Ali Gallery at the Arlington Center for the Arts
Three Prizes will be awarded:
Best in show – $200, plus two (2) Juror’s choice awards – $100 each.
Winners will be invited to participate in a small artist talk with the juror, date TBD.
About the juror:
Boriana Kantcheva, originally from Bulgaria, has lived and worked in the Boston area for over 18 years. She has received a BFA from Massachusetts College of Art and an MFA from School of the Museum of Fine Arts and Tufts University joint degree program. She has worked as an assistant teacher at the Carpenter Center for Visual and Environmental Studies where she has received several Harvard University Certificates of Distinction in Teaching awards. She currently holds a position of Gallery Coordinator at Chandler Gallery, Maud Morgan Arts Center, in Cambridge, MA. Boriana is a member of Bromfield Gallery and her work can also be seen at 13 Forest Gallery.
- Artists must be age 18 or over.
- Artists may enter up to three pieces
- All media welcome, both 2D & 3D
- Three dimensional work must be under 18×18” at its base, so as to fit on a pedestal
- Two dimensional work must be wired to hang, and under 50×50”
- Please note that ACA receives 30% of the price from all sales.
- Entrants need not be residents of Arlington or members of ACA.
Entry Fee $30 per artist, for up to three submissions
Fee is payable online or by sending a check for $30 made out to “ACA” to:
Arlington Center for the Arts, 20 Academy Street, Arlington, MA 02476
if you pay by check, please write “Gallery Fee” in the memo line.
1. Complete the Entry Form online – entries are due no later than Friday, September 21, 2018
Note: Please have a photo of each artwork, and your artist statement ready to upload before you begin
2. Make sure you have paid the $30 Submission Fee. Your submission is not final until we receive your payment. Thank you!
- Submit work online by: Friday September 21
- Artist Notification of accepted work: Wednesday, October 10
- Art Drop off at ACA: October 17-20
- Opening Reception: Saturday, October 27, 7-9pm
- Exhibit on display: October 27 – January 18
- Artwork Pick up at end of exhibit: January 19-23, 2019